Now Reading:

MH17: first victims moved, but crash site remains insecure

world news

MH17: first victims moved, but crash site remains insecure


International observers from the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) confirmed that they had inspected a train holding the bodies of victims of flight MH17, which crashed in eastern Ukraine on July 17.

The OSCE monitors said that they had observed a train in the eastern Ukrainian town of Torez, around 15 kilometres from the MH17 crash site, containing human remains.

The monitors told reporters at Torez that they could not confirm the number of bodies on the train.

There were 298 people on board MH17 when it crashed. The whereabouts of many of the victims are unknown.

There has been an international outcry over how the bodies have been handled.

The OSCE monitors said armed rebels had been limiting their access to the crash site.

The Ukrainian authorities claimed that the rebels had taken some bodies from their workers by force.

The crash site remains unsecured. There have been reports of evidence tampering and looting.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article