30/06/14 01:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The group previously known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has renamed itself “Islamic State” and has established a caliphate over territory it has captured in both Syria and Iraq.
Its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been declared the “caliph for Muslims everywhere” in a statement posted on Twitter and several Islamic websites.
Meanwhile, the Iraqi Ministry of Defence has released footage reportedly showing troops advancing on the northern city of Tikrit with the aim of regaining control with an assault backed by tanks and helicopters
Security officials said the army is coordinating its campaign, which was launched on Saturday, with the United States.
If the Tikrit operation is successful it could help to restore a degree of faith in the Iraqi security forces and be a boost to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 17:07 CET Panama opens canal extension, only a dozen heads of state attend
- 16:48 CET Switzerland set to ask EU for limited migration curbs – president
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree