30/06/14 01:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The group previously known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant has renamed itself “Islamic State” and has established a caliphate over territory it has captured in both Syria and Iraq.
Its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been declared the “caliph for Muslims everywhere” in a statement posted on Twitter and several Islamic websites.
Meanwhile, the Iraqi Ministry of Defence has released footage reportedly showing troops advancing on the northern city of Tikrit with the aim of regaining control with an assault backed by tanks and helicopters
Security officials said the army is coordinating its campaign, which was launched on Saturday, with the United States.
If the Tikrit operation is successful it could help to restore a degree of faith in the Iraqi security forces and be a boost to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Europe responds to Syria’s spiralling crisis
Several trapped, 1 dead, in eastern Ukraine mine blast
Russia boosts western border defence with new divisions
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force