27/06/14 08:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
‘Seve’ chronicles the life of golfing legend Severiano Ballesteros, who inspired a generation of players around the world.
He played a leading role in the re-emergence of European golf in the 1970s and won more than 90 international tournaments during his career, including a record 50 European Tour titles.
Seve died in 2011 at the age of 54 after a long battle with brain cancer.
British director John Paul Davidson said he wanted to pay tribute to a humble man: “We wanted to try and understand the psychology of Seve, and for that we went to the kid, because that kind of informed everything that happened to him. You know, the fact that he never moved from where he grew up, through all his success he always stayed in Pedreña, I loved that.”
‘Seve’ combines dramatic recreations with archive footage to tell this incredible rags-to-riches story, about a young boy in a Spanish fishing village, who taught himself the game with a broken 3 iron strapped to a stick.
The young Seve is played by 16-year-old José Luis Gutiérrez, himself an accomplished golfer, who grew up just a few kilometres from where Ballesteros was born.
“He was such a unique player with such great effort, hard training, hard work, the value of never giving up. But it was easy (to play him) in the way that he was the master that I have always dreamed of to be,” said the young actor.
Out now in the UK and Ireland, the film has opened to mixed reviews. While one critic described it as "a misty-eyed tribute to a golfing hero", another called it "a blur of bad knitwear" saying it doesn’t do the golfing legend justice.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Postcards from Uzbekistan: The historic beauty of Rishtan ceramics
- 4Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news