27/06/14 08:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
‘Seve’ chronicles the life of golfing legend Severiano Ballesteros, who inspired a generation of players around the world.
He played a leading role in the re-emergence of European golf in the 1970s and won more than 90 international tournaments during his career, including a record 50 European Tour titles.
Seve died in 2011 at the age of 54 after a long battle with brain cancer.
British director John Paul Davidson said he wanted to pay tribute to a humble man: “We wanted to try and understand the psychology of Seve, and for that we went to the kid, because that kind of informed everything that happened to him. You know, the fact that he never moved from where he grew up, through all his success he always stayed in Pedreña, I loved that.”
‘Seve’ combines dramatic recreations with archive footage to tell this incredible rags-to-riches story, about a young boy in a Spanish fishing village, who taught himself the game with a broken 3 iron strapped to a stick.
The young Seve is played by 16-year-old José Luis Gutiérrez, himself an accomplished golfer, who grew up just a few kilometres from where Ballesteros was born.
“He was such a unique player with such great effort, hard training, hard work, the value of never giving up. But it was easy (to play him) in the way that he was the master that I have always dreamed of to be,” said the young actor.
Out now in the UK and Ireland, the film has opened to mixed reviews. While one critic described it as "a misty-eyed tribute to a golfing hero", another called it "a blur of bad knitwear" saying it doesn’t do the golfing legend justice.
- 1Bitola: from macchiatos to mosaics
- 2‘Just extraordinary’ – Martha Argerich and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra pay homage to Claudio Abbado
- 3Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
- 4Sufragette – a film which reflects a milestone in British history
- 5Much more than a concert hall – insights from the Chairman of Philharmonie de Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary