26/06/14 18:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Catholic priest in Sicily has been charged with seeking sexual favors from migrants fleeing the Middle East and Africa in exchange for help with residency visas.
“The sexual crimes relate to a number of subjects, both underage and adults, all non-EU citizens with whom the priest was in contact through his position within Caritas,” prosecutor Marcello Viola told reporters.
“He forced young people through sexual favors, through pressure, using his senior role,” Viola added.
60,000 migrants have been rescued at sea by Italy in the first half of this year, most people fleeing conflict zones such as Syria.
Latest world news
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Canada wildfires spread south, state of emergency in place
“You can’t always get what you want” – the Rolling Stones dump Trump
Police shoot-out with UK-registered car in France
Lone woman faces down neo-Nazis in Sweden
Wires > News
- 19:47 CET Air strikes on Syrian camp kill 28, monitor says
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:12 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…
- 18:22 CET Protesters arrested in Uganda ahead of Museveni’s swearing-in