26/06/14 18:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Catholic priest in Sicily has been charged with seeking sexual favors from migrants fleeing the Middle East and Africa in exchange for help with residency visas.
“The sexual crimes relate to a number of subjects, both underage and adults, all non-EU citizens with whom the priest was in contact through his position within Caritas,” prosecutor Marcello Viola told reporters.
“He forced young people through sexual favors, through pressure, using his senior role,” Viola added.
60,000 migrants have been rescued at sea by Italy in the first half of this year, most people fleeing conflict zones such as Syria.
Wires > News
- 22:04 CET Turkey warns of rising European xenophobia after Brexit vote
- 21:48 CET After Brexit, what? U.S. secessionists hankering for ‘Texit’
- 21:37 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 21:36 CET U.S. strikes Afghan Taliban targets, in debut of broader role
- 21:28 CET Hezbollah to send more fighters to Syria’s Aleppo
- 20:24 CET For Donald Trump, going on about golf is par for the course
- 20:21 CET France says new Europe needed after Brexit ‘explosive shock’
- 20:18 CET Pope on visit to Armenia cites ‘genocide’, likely to anger Turkey