07/06/14 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukraine’s new president Petro Poroshenko has called for separatists in the east of the country to lay down their arms.
Addressing Ukraine’s parliament in Kyiv during his investiture Poroshenko set out his peace plan promising Russian fighters a safe corridor to go home.
‘‘I want peace and will achieve unity in Ukraine. That is why I begin with a peace plan proposal. I firmly urge everyone who illegally took up arms to put them down.’‘
Poroshenko also pledged to push for closer ties with Europe, stating he intended to sign soon the economic part of an association deal with the EU. And, in a clear message to Moscow he vowed not to give up Crimea, saying it was, is and would always be Ukrainian.
‘‘Yesterday I stated firmly to the Russian leadership in Normandy: Crimea is and will be Ukrainian. Full stop! There can be no compromise with anyone on the issue of Crimea, our European path, Ukraine’s political composition. Everything else can be discussed and negotiated.”
After a brief face to face meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin during Friday’s D-Day commemorations Poroshenko said talks to find a solution to Ukraine’s unity crisis could begin as early as Sunday, in what appeared to be something of a diplomatic breakthrough.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term