Dozens of foreign dignitaries made the journey to Kyiv for the
inauguration of Ukraine’s new President, Petro Poroshenko.
Among them was Alexander Lukashenko, the President of Belarus, a key ally of the Kremlin.
He has previously criticised Moscow’s annexation of Crimea as setting a “bad precedent” but also said the territory is now “de facto” a part of Russia.
Speaking outside the ceremony on Saturday, he said: “Ukraine should be a united, integral state and remain so.”
To a journalist asking about Crimea, he replied: “You should go to Crimea and negotiate how to make it Ukrainian yourself. Don’t lose Crimea.”
Other VIPs present included US Vice President Joe Biden, European Council President Herman Van Rompuy and the Swiss President Didier Burkhalter, also representing the OSCE.
“I’d like to welcome the willingness of finding the solution for a ceasefire at first, which is what we advocated for a long time,” said Burkhalter, the Chairman-in-Office of the OSCE, Europe’s leading human rights and democracy watchdog.
“We understand now that there is more chance for having practical results in that direction.”
As for those in Independence Square, known as Maidan, some feel that amid ongoing strife in the east, it is too soon for any jubilation.
“We should not be celebrating much, because we are in a situation in which so much needs to be done to keep Ukraine united and strong in the future,” one Maidan activist told euronews.
The most tumultuous period in Ukraine’s post-Soviet history is, after all, not over yet.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Beijing to use artificial snow in 2022 winter Olympics
US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
France and Russia ‘reach Mistral compensation deal’
‘Game-changing’ Ebola vaccine is hailed by health experts
Wires > News
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail
- 20:29 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels
- 20:27 CET Early poll prospects grow as Turkish air strikes muddy coalition…
- 19:58 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels
- 19:46 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog chief to meet U.S. senators next week
- 19:45 CET Palestinian toddler killed in West Bank; Jewish arsonists suspected
- 19:34 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France – Reuters witness