02/06/14 18:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It’s reported at least five militants have been killed and eight wounded in an assault by hundreds of separatists on a border command centre near Lukhansk.
A Ukrainian military jet was deployed in support of the troops under attack.
The pro-Russian attackers mounted their assault from the cover of residential buildings near the base which made it difficult for the guards to respond.
“In fact the border guards are on the territory which is temporarily controlled by terrorists. Under the most difficult conditions, they are defending the country’s borders,” Ukraine Acting President Oleksandre Turchinov told reporters in response to the news of the attack.
Many of the attackers were in uniform and heavily armed. One of the dead rebels was identified as the leader by a member of the group of separatists. It’s understood they promised safety for Ukrainian officers if they surrendered and laid down their arms.
Seven border guards are said to have been injured in the fighting.
Latest world news
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
US House Speaker Paul Ryan ‘not ready’ to back Trump
Turkey: Davutoglu departure raises concerns over authoritarianism
Deadly flare-up in violence as Israel finds Gaza tunnel
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Rebels capture village near Aleppo, 73 killed – monitor
- 08:04 CET China, Kazakhstan sign $2 billion in deals as Xinjiang party boss…
- 07:49 CET Singapore, Australia expand military cooperation in A$2.25 billion…
- 07:44 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 07:40 CET China says South China Sea criticism will rebound like a coiled…
- 07:32 CET Greeks strike as new tax, pension reforms loom
- 07:02 CET Australia to compensate charity wrongly accused over refugees‘…
- 03:57 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement