28/05/14 13:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tensions in Donetsk are running high following the bloodiest day of the uprising that saw Ukrainian forces kill as many 50 pro-Russian rebels during a raid at Donetsk airport.
Pro-Moscow supporters are bolstering defences amid fears government troops are to launch a full-scale military assault on the city.
The streets are deserted and civilians are living in fear: “ We are all worried. How can they bomb us, unarmed people. We have no weapons and they bomb us with rockets. They should have thought just a little bit. We are not attacking them, we’re just defending ourselves,” said one woman in the city.
Donetsk is the seat of Ukraine’s mining industry and as a result of the unrest all mines have been closed.
The battle at Donetsk airport marked the first time the government had unleashed aircraft and troops directly at the rebels in Donetsk.
The separatists have repeatedly asked Moscow to send Russian troops to aid them.
Russia has called on Ukraine to stop “punitive actions” in the region and criticised new president, Petro Poroshenko for not instigating dialogue.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…