In Donetsk on Wednesday, hundreds of miners marched through the city demanding Ukrainian forces withdraw from the region.
Around 1,000 protesters from Ukraine’s largest mining union rallied in support of pro-Russian separatists fighting for the self-proclaimed ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’.
Many expect government troops to try to storm the city at any time.
‘‘This protest is against the so-called anti-terrorist operation. In fact, its an anti-people operation which kills people. Civilians are suffering. There are no separatists here, only the people of Donbass,’‘ said one protesting miner.
“I’m afraid of everything that’s happening. I have survived one war already. That was enough for me,” said one elderly woman.
Reporting from Donetsk, euronews’ Sergio Cantone noted the heightened tension: ‘‘At a barricade where we could stand a few days ago we are no longer able to film. The separatists now point their Kalashnikovs to intimidate the cameramen and photo journalists. This city is in a state of siege. The separatists in favour of a Republic of Donetsk are especially nervous.’‘
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule
- 21:19 CET Special Report – U.S. State Department watered down human…
- 21:08 CET Italy arrests 11 in search for Sicilian mafia boss of bosses