28/05/14 16:32 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Donetsk on Wednesday, hundreds of miners marched through the city demanding Ukrainian forces withdraw from the region.
Around 1,000 protesters from Ukraine’s largest mining union rallied in support of pro-Russian separatists fighting for the self-proclaimed ‘Donetsk People’s Republic’.
Many expect government troops to try to storm the city at any time.
‘‘This protest is against the so-called anti-terrorist operation. In fact, its an anti-people operation which kills people. Civilians are suffering. There are no separatists here, only the people of Donbass,’‘ said one protesting miner.
“I’m afraid of everything that’s happening. I have survived one war already. That was enough for me,” said one elderly woman.
Reporting from Donetsk, euronews’ Sergio Cantone noted the heightened tension: ‘‘At a barricade where we could stand a few days ago we are no longer able to film. The separatists now point their Kalashnikovs to intimidate the cameramen and photo journalists. This city is in a state of siege. The separatists in favour of a Republic of Donetsk are especially nervous.’‘
Latest world news
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Bye bye San Francisco, destination Phoenix for Solar Impulse 2
Russians offered free land in the country’s Far East
Jail term upheld for faulty breast implants company boss
Wires > News
- 20:50 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 20:20 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 19:40 CET Saudi minister confirms warning on proposed U.S. law on 9/11
- 19:32 CET One person killed by rocket fire in Turkey’s Kilis – source
- 19:32 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 19:23 CET Honduras arrests suspects in killing of activist Caceres
- 19:18 CET Kerry aims to extend truce to Syria’s Aleppo as ceasefire unravels
- 19:08 CET Prisoners revolt in Syria’s Hama jail, seize guards – Syrian…