The battle for Donetsk airport throughout Monday and early Tuesday proved costly for the separatists with heavy loss of life. Inside one morgue dozens of fallen rebel fighters bodies were piled high.
Denis Pushilin, the self-declared leader of the Donetsk People’s Republic said as many as 50 pro-Russian separatists and about the same number of civilians had been killed in the intense but ultimately unsuccessful fight to hold onto the international air hub.
Another unconfirmed report claimed a rocket-propelled grenade had hit a truck carrying wounded rebels, killing 35.
Away from the airport , a massive fire tore through the ice hockey arena in Donetsk.
Local media alleged the blaze was deliberately started by an armed group after they broke into the stadium. There were no reports of any casualties.
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET After Brexit, what? U.S. secessionists hankering for ‘Texit’
- 21:37 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 21:36 CET U.S. strikes Afghan Taliban targets, in debut of broader role
- 21:28 CET Hezbollah to send more fighters to Syria’s Aleppo
- 20:24 CET For Donald Trump, going on about golf is par for the course
- 20:21 CET France says new Europe needed after Brexit ‘explosive shock’
- 20:18 CET Pope on visit to Armenia cites ‘genocide’, likely to anger Turkey
- 20:09 CET Analysis – ‘Brexit’ threatens to undermine U.S.-Britain special…