The battle for Donetsk airport throughout Monday and early Tuesday proved costly for the separatists with heavy loss of life. Inside one morgue dozens of fallen rebel fighters bodies were piled high.
Denis Pushilin, the self-declared leader of the Donetsk People’s Republic said as many as 50 pro-Russian separatists and about the same number of civilians had been killed in the intense but ultimately unsuccessful fight to hold onto the international air hub.
Another unconfirmed report claimed a rocket-propelled grenade had hit a truck carrying wounded rebels, killing 35.
Away from the airport , a massive fire tore through the ice hockey arena in Donetsk.
Local media alleged the blaze was deliberately started by an armed group after they broke into the stadium. There were no reports of any casualties.
- 1Ukraine: Policeman killed and scores injured as MPs back more autonomy for the east
- 2Migrants: Austria tightens up border controls
- 3Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 4Relentless flow of refugees continues in Europe
- 5‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 09:34 CET Shaky Japanese submarine pitch puts Australian industry offside
- 09:32 CET Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces
- 08:37 CET Singapore ruling party for first time faces election fight for…
- 08:30 CET Turkish police raid offices of conglomerate close to cleric Gulen…
- 07:33 CET Reporters cleared in Thai navy defamation case
- 06:07 CET Insight – Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar’s…
- 05:20 CET OAS will not hold meeting on Venezuela-Colombia border crisis
- 04:30 CET Fire in Venezuela prison kills 17 people, prosecutor says