The battle for Donetsk airport throughout Monday and early Tuesday proved costly for the separatists with heavy loss of life. Inside one morgue dozens of fallen rebel fighters bodies were piled high.
Denis Pushilin, the self-declared leader of the Donetsk People’s Republic said as many as 50 pro-Russian separatists and about the same number of civilians had been killed in the intense but ultimately unsuccessful fight to hold onto the international air hub.
Another unconfirmed report claimed a rocket-propelled grenade had hit a truck carrying wounded rebels, killing 35.
Away from the airport , a massive fire tore through the ice hockey arena in Donetsk.
Local media alleged the blaze was deliberately started by an armed group after they broke into the stadium. There were no reports of any casualties.
Wires > News
- 12:16 CET Bombs in Baghdad kill nine, wound 26 – sources
- 12:15 CET Japan to support Mekong countries with 750 billion yen over three…
- 12:13 CET Kerry says getting closer to an understanding on Syria ceasefire
- 12:11 CET Denmark extends controls on German border until June 2
- 12:07 CET Clinton, looking ahead to U.S. general election, begins Appalachia…
- 12:05 CET Indiana to test Donald Trump’s staying power with evangelicals
- 11:40 CET Hundreds promoting independence detained in Indonesia’s Papua
- 08:32 CET Drones, Turkish artillery hit Islamic State in Syria, 34 dead -…