Now Reading:

Turkey: protests banned as anger grows over mining tragedy

world news

Turkey: protests banned as anger grows over mining tragedy


More funerals were held on Saturday for some of the 301 men who died in Turkey’s worst ever mining disaster. They were laid to rest in the small mining town of Soma.

Earlier on Saturday rescue crews had recovered the bodies of the last two missing miners.

As anger at the government’s response to the tragedy grew across the country, energy minister Taner Yildiz announced there would be an investigation into what caused the deaths.

“A technical, administrative and legal investigation into the accident will be launched and it will be carried out and it doesn’t matter whether it will reach into the private or the public sector,” Yildiz said.

In Soma, dozens of people, including lawyers and union members, were detained by police after protests were banned. They chanted “the pressure cannot intimidate us” as they were taken away.

Tuesday’s disaster has triggered protests across Turkey against the country’s poor work safety record and what is seen as the complacency of mine owners and the government.

Scores of protesters clashed with police in Istanbul, hours after the final death toll was announced, gathering near central Taksim Square.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article