A poster of a stiletto shoe with a red strike-through the middle was held high above the crowd at a rally in Tehran on Friday. Hundreds were present at the protest to call on the government to enforce the country’s strict Islamic dress code for women.
It appears to be a response to a Facebook page going by the name “My Stealthy Freedom”, where young Iranian women share photos of themselves in public without the hijab or veil. It has racked up more than 243 thousand likes.
Hardline Islamists see the actions as evidence of creeping Westernisation. “The youth should be vigilant and be aware that the same enemy that has blocked our access to nuclear science is trying to drive us towards abandoning the hijab and towards corruption,” said one young protester, adding, “It is the same enemy. I ask all my good friends to do a little bit more thinking first, and then do whatever they want.”
Holding posters appealing to the historic acts of soldiers killed who died in the eight-year war with Iraq in the 1980s, protesters appealed to emotions, with another placard stating “We will start another revolution if the Hijab situation doesn’t change.”
President Rohani has taken a less strict view of the dress code, allowing looser clothing to be worn in the hot summer months, saying the emphasis should be on virtue rather than fashion.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Wires > News
- 22:06 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 21:26 CET Scioli maintains lead in Argentina presidential race – poll
- 21:22 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -…
- 21:20 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses
- 20:40 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 20:38 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 20:36 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 20:18 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride parade, wounding…