16/05/14 19:29 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Severe flooding has led to a state of emergency being declared in Austria, Serbia and Bosnia.
In Bosnia, army helicopters rescued dozens of people stranded on the top floors of their homes in the central town of Maglaj.
These are the heaviest floods and worst rainfall the region has seen in 120 years.
In Serbia, at least five people have died after the equivalent of four month’s rainfall fell in just one day.
More than 6,000 people have been displaced and 300,000 homes are without electricity. Many towns and villages are completely cut off and emergency services are working around the clock to rescue people.
One woman who was evacuated from her village near Preljine in Slavica in the east of the country said: “Everything we have is flooded, destroyed, water is in the house, all the appliances are under water.”
Another said: “This is a catastrophe, we have lost all of our furniture, we have nowhere to sleep, it’s all gone”
In Lower Austria, several villages have been cut off with roads closed and houses flooded. Some drivers got caught in the floods but were rescued by the fire brigade.
More rain is forecast over the weekend, although it is expected to be less intense.
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…