Male students have turned up to school in Nantes, western France,wearing skirts in an anti-sexism move called “Lift the Skirt.”
The pro-equality initiative aimed to reduce sexism in French schools received the backing of the local education authority, and the majority of the boys:
“I thought wearing a skirt is no big deal and if it does some good…then great,” said one young man in fetching orange.
Outside one school the skirt wearing males were met by around 150 members of a right-wing anti-gay marriage group protesting against the move calling it “scandalous.”
“Lift the Skirt” organiser Arthur Moinet explained why they decided on the action.
“We noticed that in a lot of high schools in our region, there are lots of cases of sexism and discrimination, so we thought we should do something to change that, and so we came up with the idea.”
The girls are also on board:
“Sexism is not just about women who need to be defended. Sexism is a daily struggle also for men. Men can be the victims of sexism too,” said one female supporter.
Gender in education is a hot topic in France following the introduction of a equality curriculum earlier in the year.
French conservatives are outraged as they believe the move teaches tolerance of same sex-couples.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 13:51 CET Pentagon mulls improving Iraqi troop training after fall of Ramadi
- 13:40 CET Asia’s migrant crisis meeting unlikely to yield solutions
- 13:36 CET Commander of elite Tajik police force defects to Islamic State
- 13:31 CET U.S. training of Syria rebel fighters expands to Turkey – source
- 12:57 CET Western women who join Islamic State defy ‘jihadi bride‘…
- 12:55 CET Iran’s Zarif hopes for nuclear deal within ‘reasonable period of…
- 12:40 CET Pressure mounts on Blatter as FIFA scandal widens
- 12:09 CET Germany drops war crimes case against former SS soldier due to…