Male students have turned up to school in Nantes, western France,wearing skirts in an anti-sexism move called “Lift the Skirt.”
The pro-equality initiative aimed to reduce sexism in French schools received the backing of the local education authority, and the majority of the boys:
“I thought wearing a skirt is no big deal and if it does some good…then great,” said one young man in fetching orange.
Outside one school the skirt wearing males were met by around 150 members of a right-wing anti-gay marriage group protesting against the move calling it “scandalous.”
“Lift the Skirt” organiser Arthur Moinet explained why they decided on the action.
“We noticed that in a lot of high schools in our region, there are lots of cases of sexism and discrimination, so we thought we should do something to change that, and so we came up with the idea.”
The girls are also on board:
“Sexism is not just about women who need to be defended. Sexism is a daily struggle also for men. Men can be the victims of sexism too,” said one female supporter.
Gender in education is a hot topic in France following the introduction of a equality curriculum earlier in the year.
French conservatives are outraged as they believe the move teaches tolerance of same sex-couples.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
Doping allegations involving 800 blood tests rock world of athletics
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777