14/05/14 10:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The five main candidates for the European Commission presidency are in Brussels for the latest in a series of debates ahead of the European Parliament elections on May 22-25.
At 21:00 CET on Thursday May 15, Martin Schulz (Socialists), Jean-Claude Juncker (European People’s Party), Guy Verhofstadt (Liberals), Ska Keller (Greens) and Alexis Tsipras (European Left) will face 90 minutes of questions from Monica Maggioni of Italian broadcaster RAI. The debate’s organisers, the European Broadcasting Union, are inviting members of the public to shape the debate by sending their questions via social media using the hashtag #TellEUROPE.
These are the first European elections to feature such debates between the candidates of the European Parliament’s main political groups. The first of these was hosted by Euronews in Maastricht on April 28 (see video below), while a second was held in Florence, Italy on May 9.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…