14/05/14 10:09 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The five main candidates for the European Commission presidency are in Brussels for the latest in a series of debates ahead of the European Parliament elections on May 22-25.
At 21:00 CET on Thursday May 15, Martin Schulz (Socialists), Jean-Claude Juncker (European People’s Party), Guy Verhofstadt (Liberals), Ska Keller (Greens) and Alexis Tsipras (European Left) will face 90 minutes of questions from Monica Maggioni of Italian broadcaster RAI. The debate’s organisers, the European Broadcasting Union, are inviting members of the public to shape the debate by sending their questions via social media using the hashtag #TellEUROPE.
These are the first European elections to feature such debates between the candidates of the European Parliament’s main political groups. The first of these was hosted by Euronews in Maastricht on April 28 (see video below), while a second was held in Florence, Italy on May 9.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 4Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
90,000 unaccompanied children seek refugee in Europe in 2015
What happens when a journalist disappears?
Against all odds: Leicester City create “biggest ever betting shock”
Stand-up or Sit-com? Obama contemplates life after presidency
Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down