The Turkish government has condemned a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) which has ordered it to pay compensation to Cyprus relating to its 1974 invasion of the island.
Even before the court’s announcement to pay a total of 90 million euros, Ankara said it would not comply.
However the Strasbourg court is insisting.
“The defending state must within three months pay the claimant government 30 million euros, as well any sum of tax due, as compensation for the suffering caused to the families of those who disappeared,” announced Judge Josep Casadevall.
Forty years ago Turkey sent troops to Cyprus after a brief Greek Cypriot coup supporting unification with Athens. Since then the island has been divided north and south along ethnic lines.
Monday’s announcement dates back to the European court’s ruling in 2001 which found in favour of Nicosia, but its only now fixed on a compensation sum.
Turkey has criticised the court’s timing saying it undermines a fresh peace drive on the Island.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.