The most talked-about act before the competition, Austria’s Conchita Wurst has won the Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen with “Rise Like a Phoenix”.
The drag performer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, developed a consistent lead as voting progressed, and ended up with 290 points.
More than 50 points behind, The Netherlands came second with 238 points, with Sweden in third on 218.
The “bearded lady”, as the 25-year-old is known, had stirred controversy especially in some eastern European countries.
But no fewer than 13 countries gave her a maximum 12 points.
“This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are. We are unity and we are unstoppable,” the winner said as she was presented with the trophy.
The contest is not supposed to be political but Russia’s entry was booed – nothing to do with its teenage twin contestants and everything to do with its policies on Ukraine and gay rights.
There was again disappointment for Britain and Molly Smitten-Downes who came 17th – and especially for France who finished last.
But the night belonged to Conchita Wurst – whose triumph gives Austria its first Eurovision victory since 1966.
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Café Comercial closes, uproar in Madrid
Obama urges nations to respect democracy in African Union speech
Crucial bailout talks begin in Greece
Sewel: UK Peer resigns from House of Lords over drugs allegations
Turkey: NATO meets in Brussels as Ankara toughens its stance against the Kurds
Wires > News
- 17:04 CET Saudi-led raid on Yemen plant appears unlawful – Rights Watch
- 16:47 CET Hillary Clinton should hand over private email server – U.S. House…
- 16:45 CET Le Pen father gets French court victory over daughter
- 16:40 CET Cyprus unites behind EU protection for halloumi cheese
- 16:32 CET Ukrainian military pilot held by Russia has alibi – lawyers
- 16:27 CET Bomb kills two policemen in worst Bahrain bombing in months
- 16:22 CET Benghazi suicide bomber kills three Libyan soldiers, wounds 11 -…
- 16:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV