11/05/14 03:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The most talked-about act before the competition, Austria’s Conchita Wurst has won the Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen with “Rise Like a Phoenix”.
The drag performer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, developed a consistent lead as voting progressed, and ended up with 290 points.
More than 50 points behind, The Netherlands came second with 238 points, with Sweden in third on 218.
The “bearded lady”, as the 25-year-old is known, had stirred controversy especially in some eastern European countries.
But no fewer than 13 countries gave her a maximum 12 points.
“This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are. We are unity and we are unstoppable,” the winner said as she was presented with the trophy.
The contest is not supposed to be political but Russia’s entry was booed – nothing to do with its teenage twin contestants and everything to do with its policies on Ukraine and gay rights.
There was again disappointment for Britain and Molly Smitten-Downes who came 17th – and especially for France who finished last.
But the night belonged to Conchita Wurst – whose triumph gives Austria its first Eurovision victory since 1966.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Wires > News
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey
- 17:20 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 17:17 CET Boko Haram claims responsibility for Kano suicide bomb – SITE
- 16:58 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 16:48 CET Nearly 1000 people denied entry to France since attacks – minister
- 16:47 CET Leader of German anti-immigrant party calls on Merkel to resign