Polling stations are being prepared across Donetsk for a referendum on Sunday, May 11. It has been called by the electoral commission of self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk.
Kyiv and Brussels have condemned the referendum as illegitimate. Moscow has called on the organisers to postpone the vote.
It is unclear what a “Yes” result would lead to. The referendum question is opaque, asking: “Do you support the People’s Republic of Donetsk?”
The question appears to be designed to appeal both to those who want to remain part of Ukraine but with more autonomy and to those who would like the region to break away, like Crimea, and join Russia.
“I will not participate in the referendum. I don’t want it to be legitimised, as I have an entirely different view,” one Donetsk resident told euronews.
“I think the referendum is necessary because we need to decide, and all Ukrainians should decide, what it is going to happen next,” said another.
The organisers of the vote have declared no minimum turnout for the referendum result to stand and have invited no outside observers.
Roman Lyagin, Chairman of the Electoral Commission of the self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk told euronews: “We have the support of all the city authorities of Donetsk. We’re doing what we should and we demand the right to self-determination.”
Euronews correspondent Sergio Cantone reported from Donetsk: “The supporters of self determination for Donetsk and Donbass are apparently looking for a fait accompli that would give them further legitimacy. But their ultimate goal is still to be unveiled.”
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:53 CET Russian aircraft head off U.S. destroyer in Black Sea – RIA
- 17:51 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes against Islamic State…
- 16:37 CET Gunmen shoot dead two soldiers in south of Thailand – police
- 16:26 CET Police break up unsanctioned gay rally in central Moscow
- 13:37 CET Myanmar lands seized migrant boat on island
- 13:26 CET Gunmen kill 22 bus passengers in Pakistan attack
- 13:16 CET U.S. says China’s island-building erodes security; Beijing angered
- 12:20 CET U.S.-Egyptian released from Egypt jail-family