The latest figures from the EU’s statistics agency, Eurostat, show that Germany is the worst offender when it comes to pollution.
Last year the country released 760 million tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere from fossil fuels, a rise of 2 percent.
Although across the 28 member states emissions were down by 2.5 percent in 2013 they increased in six countries including Germany. The other offenders were Denmark, Estonia, Portugal, France and Poland.
Those countries doing the best at making cuts in CO2 – which accounts for 80 percent of greenhouse gas emissions causing global warming – were Cyprus, which went down by 14.7 percent, followed by Romania then Spain.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 17:12 CET Fresh U.S. sanctions show Washington is deepening confrontation -…
- 17:07 CET Uganda’s former PM to run as independent candidate in presidential…
- 17:07 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 16:33 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 16:04 CET IAEA chief ‘positively’ mulling U.S. Senate invite to speak on Iran
- 15:27 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…