06/05/14 22:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
US Secretary of State John Kerry and Catherine Ashton, the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs & Security Policy, have held wide ranging discussions over the situation in Ukraine.
There was talk of more sanctions if Russia tries to derail the presidential election and an emphatic response to the proposed referendum in the east of the country.
“We are also very concerned about the efforts of pro-Russian separatists in Donetsk and Luhansk to organise a frankly contrived and bogus independence referendum on May 11. We flatly reject this illegal effort to further divide Ukraine,” said US Secretary of State John Kerry.
There was criticism for Russia and what is seen as its failure to fulfill its obligations within the Geneva accord but praise for Kyiv.
“Ukraine has the right to defend its territorial integrity. We understand the international obligations that it has and we work closely with them and as you have indicated they have done a lot from the beginning of leaving Geneva at the end of that day to try and implement what was agreed,” said EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
In Donetsk on Tuesday over three million ballot papers were printed in advance of the referendum on Sunday. Voters will be asked one question – if they support the independence of the People’s Republic of Donetsk with the choice to answer yes or no.
- 1Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 2‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 3Iraqi army enters Falluja as assault approaches decisive phase
- 4Rescuers publish image of drowned migrant baby
- 5Turkey: Muslim families should forget birth control says Erdogan
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Fire breaks out in Indian arms depot, several feared dead
- 07:24 CET Saudi says intercepts and destroys ballistic missile from Yemen
- 07:12 CET Good morning, North Korea! Defector preaches dangers of cult…
- 06:17 CET El Salvador gang truce mediator released from detention
- 05:36 CET Haiti commission recommends scrapping disputed election results
- 05:31 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 04:47 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 04:30 CET Top North Korean official visits China – Kyodo