30/04/14 19:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukraine’s interim president, Oleksandr Turchynov, says the country’s armed forces have been put on full military alert, in case of a Russian invasion.
Russia maintains it has no plans to invade eastern Ukraine, following its annexation of the Crimean peninsula.
According to the Kremlin, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi have agreed that all sides must observe a deal reached in Geneva to de-escalate the Ukrainian crisis.
But Kyiv is continuing to prepare its armed forces.
“I once again return to the real danger of the Russian Federation beginning a land war against Ukraine,” Turchynov said. He added: “Our armed forces have been put on full military readiness.”
He also condemned police for failing to quell a wave of uprisings, most recently in Horlivka.
Turchynov has accused Moscow of encouraging Russian-speaking rebels to seize several government buildings across the industrial east.
The separatists are holding a group of OSCE observers, leading Ertugrul Apakan, head of the European security watchdog’s mission in Ukraine, to appeal for their release.
“Our task is to monitor and to establish facts and report their wrong, and it should be objective and impartial reporting,” he told reporters. “We are here and from time to time, we would like to be visible to you also.”
An armed uprising began in eastern Ukraine at the beginning of April. Dissidents in the region have called a referendum on secession for May 11.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Belgium lowers state of alert in Brussels from maximum level
Greek pensioners protest pension cuts
Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Wires > News
- 18:26 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 18:10 CET Belgium lowers security alert level in Brussels
- 18:08 CET Britain building consensus for military action in Syria – Hammond
- 17:54 CET German police arrest two in Berlin suspected of planning attack
- 17:26 CET Stranded migrants try to storm into Macedonia, tear down fence
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque