19/04/14 09:01 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The deputy speaker of Russia’s parliament, Vladimir Zhirinovsky has been urged to resign after verbally insulting a pregnant reporter at a press conference.
The leader of the nationalist Liberal Democratic party lost control when the reporter asked him if Russia plans any reciprocal action against Ukraine.
He responded with an outburst of threats and at one point ordered his subordinate staff to rape the journalist.
One editor at Russia Today television says Zhirinovsky should face criminal charges for incitement.
“Many people have already become used to his extraordinary behaviour but when he allowed himself to openly call for violence within the walls of State Duma all journalists of our agency and colleagues from other media organisations were outraged,” said Dmitry Gornostayev.
Zhirinovsky’s widely known for his anti-Western rhetoric. The ethics committee of Russia’s parliament has indicated that it will press for his suspension.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:21 CET Turkey sees possible foreign Islamic State link in Istanbul…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army
- 12:04 CET China says U.S. ‘Great Wall’ remark shows misunderstanding of…
- 11:42 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 11:40 CET Putin may meet Obama at G20 in September – RIA
- 11:19 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s position will be stronger in post-Brexit EU – Turkish …