Stark warnings and coded language. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, flanked by his Kazakh and Belorussian counterparts has weighed into the diplomatic arguments on Ukraine.
His was a gloomy assesment of the future and he appealed to Kyiv.
“Ukraine is on the brink of civil war. It is scary. I hope that everyone who is responsible for making decisions at the moment, the current Ukrainian authorities have enough brains to avoid driving the country into such a state and to prevent an escalation of the conflict,” he told reporters.
The diplomatic theme from NATO on Tuesday was similar, ending a conflict which could spiral. But it pointed to Russia with a direct appeal to Moscow.
“I call on Russia to de-escalate the crisis, to pull back its troops from Ukraine’s borders, to stop de-stabilising the situation in Ukraine and make clear it doesn’t support the violent action of pro-Russian separatists,” said Nato General Secretary Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
A phone call from President Barack Obama to his Russian counterpart was followed by a second on Tuesday from Ban Ki-moon to Vladimir Putin. The UN chief spoke of his alarm at the volatile situation in eastern Ukraine and the need for everyone to work together.
From Estonia which shares a border with Russia US Senator John McCain said he believed Ukraine should receive military assistance from the West adding that Kyiv’s military was poorly equipped to deal with any threat from Russian troops on the Ukrainian frontier.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Rome’s Fiumicino – How unlucky can an airport be?
- 16:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 15:54 CET Erdogan taking Turkey to war to avenge Kurdish gains – opposition
- 15:40 CET After Russia’s U.N. veto, countries seek court for downed flight…
- 15:14 CET Afghan Taliban names a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 15:12 CET Landslide near Nepal’s popular Annapurna trek route kills 30
- 15:00 CET German Social Democrats fret as ‘Mr Zig Zag’ stumbles
- 14:22 CET Tsipras seeks Greek ruling party members’ vote on bailout