Doctors at an airport in Guinea, west Africa have been fighting to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
It’s the worst outbreak in years.
Thermal image cameras measure passengers’ body temperatures. Health workers are alerted to anyone over 38 degrees Celsius.
Tim Jagatic, a physian form the international medical charity Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said patients who had sought medical help in the early stages of the disease, had better chances of survival.
“When a patient comes early, approaches us early within the disease then we have seen better outcomes. Other factors such as level of inoculation of the disease, which means how much of the virus they were exposed to is also a factor,” said Jagatic.
Ebola can reside in monkeys, rodents and bats and may be passed on to people who eat the bush meat.
The virus causes fever, vomiting and external and internal bleeding. It has about a 90 percent fatality rate. There is no known cure.
The outbreak has already spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:33 CET Islamic State shot and beheaded 30 people in Libya – video
- 14:32 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 14:23 CET Thousands of Yemeni troops along Saudi border side with President…
- 13:49 CET India’s enigmatic Gandhi fires up opposition at farmers rally
- 13:32 CET Egypt court seeks death sentence for 11 in football stadium case -…
- 13:05 CET Life or death? Boston bomber’s trial turns to sentencing
- 12:48 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab fighters attack African Union troops -…
- 12:45 CET Northern Cypriots vote for new leader who can succeed in peace…