12/04/14 08:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Doctors at an airport in Guinea, west Africa have been fighting to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
It’s the worst outbreak in years.
Thermal image cameras measure passengers’ body temperatures. Health workers are alerted to anyone over 38 degrees Celsius.
Tim Jagatic, a physian form the international medical charity Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said patients who had sought medical help in the early stages of the disease, had better chances of survival.
“When a patient comes early, approaches us early within the disease then we have seen better outcomes. Other factors such as level of inoculation of the disease, which means how much of the virus they were exposed to is also a factor,” said Jagatic.
Ebola can reside in monkeys, rodents and bats and may be passed on to people who eat the bush meat.
The virus causes fever, vomiting and external and internal bleeding. It has about a 90 percent fatality rate. There is no known cure.
The outbreak has already spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China