Doctors at an airport in Guinea, west Africa have been fighting to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
It’s the worst outbreak in years.
Thermal image cameras measure passengers’ body temperatures. Health workers are alerted to anyone over 38 degrees Celsius.
Tim Jagatic, a physian form the international medical charity Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said patients who had sought medical help in the early stages of the disease, had better chances of survival.
“When a patient comes early, approaches us early within the disease then we have seen better outcomes. Other factors such as level of inoculation of the disease, which means how much of the virus they were exposed to is also a factor,” said Jagatic.
Ebola can reside in monkeys, rodents and bats and may be passed on to people who eat the bush meat.
The virus causes fever, vomiting and external and internal bleeding. It has about a 90 percent fatality rate. There is no known cure.
The outbreak has already spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET German justice minister sacks top prosecutor over treason row
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…
- 18:14 CET Russia resubmits claim for energy-rich Arctic shelf
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast