11/04/14 19:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An international hunt is on to track down former Italian Senator and one-time ally of Silvio Berlusconi Marcello Dell’Utri.
The court in Palermo this week issued a warrant for his arrest ahead of a final ruling on charges of mafia collusion.
The 72-year-old was sentenced to seven years in jail in March last year but was released pending a final appeal lodged with Italy’s highest court.
The arrest warrant was issued after prosecutors said they had evidence he was abroad. In a statement Dell’Utri claimed he did not want to hide adding he was already outside the country “to get some rest and medical treatment”. His lawyer said he did not know his client was abroad.
Gaspare Spatuzza, a convicted murderer and Mafia member, testified in the appeals trial of Dell’Utri. At the time he also linked Silvio Berlusconi to the Mafia claiming the former prime minister would provide “benefits” for the organisation in exchange for support in elections.
Berlusconi was not a defendant in the trial. He and Marcello Dell’Utri have been friends since they attended university together in Milan in the early 1960s. Dell’Utri became a key adviser when Berlusconi entered politics after making a rapid fortune, and helped him establish his own political party from scratch in the 1990s.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe