An international hunt is on to track down former Italian Senator and one-time ally of Silvio Berlusconi Marcello Dell’Utri.
The court in Palermo this week issued a warrant for his arrest ahead of a final ruling on charges of mafia collusion.
The 72-year-old was sentenced to seven years in jail in March last year but was released pending a final appeal lodged with Italy’s highest court.
The arrest warrant was issued after prosecutors said they had evidence he was abroad. In a statement Dell’Utri claimed he did not want to hide adding he was already outside the country “to get some rest and medical treatment”. His lawyer said he did not know his client was abroad.
Gaspare Spatuzza, a convicted murderer and Mafia member, testified in the appeals trial of Dell’Utri. At the time he also linked Silvio Berlusconi to the Mafia claiming the former prime minister would provide “benefits” for the organisation in exchange for support in elections.
Berlusconi was not a defendant in the trial. He and Marcello Dell’Utri have been friends since they attended university together in Milan in the early 1960s. Dell’Utri became a key adviser when Berlusconi entered politics after making a rapid fortune, and helped him establish his own political party from scratch in the 1990s.
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 10:40 CET Myanmar election body held meeting on possible postponement of…
- 10:38 CET Japan may halt funds for UNESCO over Nanjing row with China
- 10:15 CET Package detonated at site of Turkey bombings in apparent false…
- 10:03 CET Four miners killed in a Bosnian mine accident
- 08:33 CET China opens bribery trial of ally to disgraced security chief
- 07:44 CET Growing Japan row over U.S. air base presents election risk for …
- 06:48 CET China’s army sends vehicles seized in graft crackdown to border…
- 04:19 CET New Zealand police arrest man over infant formula contamination…