08/04/14 12:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukrainian authorities say they have retaken the main government building from pro-Russian protesters in the eastern city of Kharkiv.
They say 70 people were arrested in an anti-terrorist operation.
Russia meanwhile has said Ukraine should avoid military preparations that could spark a civil war.
On Monday, Washington warned Moscow against moving “overtly or covertly” into eastern Ukraine, saying there’s evidence that pro-Russian protesters are being paid.
Separatists are holding out in two other Ukrainian cities, Donetsk and Luhansk, in what Kyiv has called a Russian-led plan to dismember the country.
In Donetsk, the Russian flag still flew above the regional government building on Tuesday morning.
Rebels have called for a referendum on secession from Ukraine.
One pro-Russian protester said:
“We hope people watching now will be loyal, because we will not leave this place until we make a referendum happen.”
Another man had a different vision: “I hope that we will have a united Ukraine, but as a federal state,” he said.
Reports quoting Ukrainian authorities say they have promised not to storm the Donetsk government building.
After overnight talks, protesters reportedly gave up some weapons, and agreed to withdraw their earlier declaration of a “people’s republic”.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 12:04 CET China says U.S. ‘Great Wall’ remark shows misunderstanding of…
- 11:42 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 11:40 CET Putin may meet Obama at G20 in September – RIA
- 11:19 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s position will be stronger in post-Brexit EU – Turkish …
- 11:14 CET Boko Haram suicide bomber kills 11 at mosque in Cameroon
- 11:01 CET Turkish police detain 13 people over Istanbul airport attack -…
- 10:58 CET Mongolian opposition wins landslide, voters fed up with hard times