08/04/14 13:27 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Turbulence in the east has triggered violence in Ukraine’s parliament which has passed a law envisaging long jail terms for acts against the country’s territorial integrity.
But as Kyiv moved to assert its authority, communist leader Petro Symonenko told the chamber that demonstrators’ demands should be listened to.
“You are today doing everything to intimidate people. You arrest people, start fighting people who have a different point of view,” he said.
He also accused nationalists of setting a precedent by seizing public buildings when they had protested against the rule of now ousted President Viktor Yanukovych.
Two members from the Svoboda far-right party took exception to the charges and seized Symonenko at the rostrum. Supporters rallied to his defence and a brawl broke out with deputies from other parties joining in and trading punches.
It comes as a war of words continues between Moscow and the West.
NATO warned Moscow on Tuesday of “grave consequences” to its relationship with the West if it intervened further in Ukraine.
But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov dismissed
US accusations that Moscow was destabilising Ukraine, saying the situation could improve only if the interests of Russian speakers were taken into account.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Canadian ordered out of Nepal after criticising government on…
- 15:49 CET Fatal helicopter crash off Norway due technical error -…
- 15:43 CET Rebel rockets kill 19 in Aleppo, hit hospital – monitor
- 15:43 CET German comedian says Merkel ‘served me up for tea’ to Turkey
- 15:31 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 15:11 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 15:01 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 14:57 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in Iraq