It’s not everyone’s idea of how to spend a fortnight – but for French artist Abraham Poincheval, spending 13 days inside the carcass of a bear is the ultimate artistic performance.
Entitled ‘Dans la peau de l’ours’ (‘Inside the skin of a bear’), the stunt is on at Paris’ Museum of Hunting and Nature, and can be followed live, online.
Visitors are encouraged to talk to the artist or read to him to keep him company.
“I feel that, little by little, I am withdrawing into hibernation, like a bear. Life has slowed down. I sleep a lot,” Poincheval told journalists from inside the bear.
During his 13-day stay, the artist won’t leave his hibernation spot. His food is stashed away inside one of the bear’s legs. He eats, sleeps and even relieves himself inside the bear.
“In fact, the bear includes toilets inside one of the animal’s legs,” said the museum’s director, Claude d’Anthenaise. “I hope it will work because if not, we will have some problems as it has to stay for 13 days.”
The artist’s diet is similar to that of a bear and includes berries, insects, honey and fruit.
“It’s a really long time to stay inside, 13 days eating worms, beetles, disgusting things like that, it must feel weird,” says young Thomas, one of the museum’s visitors.
It’s not the first time the artist has put on the stunt: last year, he conducted the same performance in a museum in southern France, and two years ago, he spent a week in a hole beneath a bookshop in Marseille.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Postcards from Uzbekistan: The historic beauty of Rishtan ceramics
- 4Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand