It’s not everyone’s idea of how to spend a fortnight – but for French artist Abraham Poincheval, spending 13 days inside the carcass of a bear is the ultimate artistic performance.
Entitled ‘Dans la peau de l’ours’ (‘Inside the skin of a bear’), the stunt is on at Paris’ Museum of Hunting and Nature, and can be followed live, online.
Visitors are encouraged to talk to the artist or read to him to keep him company.
“I feel that, little by little, I am withdrawing into hibernation, like a bear. Life has slowed down. I sleep a lot,” Poincheval told journalists from inside the bear.
During his 13-day stay, the artist won’t leave his hibernation spot. His food is stashed away inside one of the bear’s legs. He eats, sleeps and even relieves himself inside the bear.
“In fact, the bear includes toilets inside one of the animal’s legs,” said the museum’s director, Claude d’Anthenaise. “I hope it will work because if not, we will have some problems as it has to stay for 13 days.”
The artist’s diet is similar to that of a bear and includes berries, insects, honey and fruit.
“It’s a really long time to stay inside, 13 days eating worms, beetles, disgusting things like that, it must feel weird,” says young Thomas, one of the museum’s visitors.
It’s not the first time the artist has put on the stunt: last year, he conducted the same performance in a museum in southern France, and two years ago, he spent a week in a hole beneath a bookshop in Marseille.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern