It’s not everyone’s idea of how to spend a fortnight – but for French artist Abraham Poincheval, spending 13 days inside the carcass of a bear is the ultimate artistic performance.
Entitled ‘Dans la peau de l’ours’ (‘Inside the skin of a bear’), the stunt is on at Paris’ Museum of Hunting and Nature, and can be followed live, online.
Visitors are encouraged to talk to the artist or read to him to keep him company.
“I feel that, little by little, I am withdrawing into hibernation, like a bear. Life has slowed down. I sleep a lot,” Poincheval told journalists from inside the bear.
During his 13-day stay, the artist won’t leave his hibernation spot. His food is stashed away inside one of the bear’s legs. He eats, sleeps and even relieves himself inside the bear.
“In fact, the bear includes toilets inside one of the animal’s legs,” said the museum’s director, Claude d’Anthenaise. “I hope it will work because if not, we will have some problems as it has to stay for 13 days.”
The artist’s diet is similar to that of a bear and includes berries, insects, honey and fruit.
“It’s a really long time to stay inside, 13 days eating worms, beetles, disgusting things like that, it must feel weird,” says young Thomas, one of the museum’s visitors.
It’s not the first time the artist has put on the stunt: last year, he conducted the same performance in a museum in southern France, and two years ago, he spent a week in a hole beneath a bookshop in Marseille.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent