Western Africa is bracing against an unprecedented outbreak of the deadly ebola virus. Guinea is the country affected the worst by the viral hemorrhagic fever. Since January, 86 people have died from it, out of 137 cases.
Shutting down the body’s immune system, ebola is highly contagious, transmitted by contact with the fluids of infected people or animals.
Epidemiologist Michel Van Herp, in Guinea with the non-governmental organisation MSF (Doctors Without Borders) said: “We are facing a scale that has never been seen before, looking at the number of cases in different areas.”
Death tolls in the past have been higher than in Guinea so far, such as in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2001 and Uganda the year before. But this time cases have been found far apart, not geographically concentrated. MSF describes ebola as one of the world’s deadliest diseases. There is no cure.
Van Herp said: “We are facing the most aggressive strain of ebola, the Zaire strain. It kills more than nine out of 10 people infected.”
Identified in 1976 in former Zaire, now the Democratic Republic of Congo, this is the first time ebola has struck in Guinea. It is also thought to have spread to Liberia, Sierra Leona and Mali.
The natural host of this virus is thought to be essentially bats and other animals. Health officials have told people not to eat wild meat. Infected humans can pass the virus on through sex and direct contact with blood, mucus and other bodily fluids.
Research Professor Jean-Jacques Muyembe says: “We think the big bats who eat fruit are the main carriers, but we still have to confirm this. The only way to fight ebola is by practising good hygiene and interrupting the train of transmission, meaning detect the disease rapidly — the people who are already infected — and isolate them.”
Ebola goes from sore throat to fever, muscle pain, headaches, vomiting, diarrhoea, organ failure and blood loss.
Death can take from days to weeks.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
US shooting: police officer charged with murder
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777-Malaysia
- 11:48 CET China says ‘many’ countries sending troops for war anniversary
- 11:42 CET Cairo hearing in Al Jazeera journalists’ retrial adjourned – Al…
- 11:40 CET Greek PM tries to rein in leftists in party battle
- 11:37 CET Turkish military says three soldiers killed in PKK attack in the…
- 11:11 CET Taipei mayor won’t publicly back ‘One China’, Shanghai forum at…
- 10:46 CET Taliban disavows Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty