01/04/14 22:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of Turks took to the streets of Ankara on Tuesday to demand the partial recount in local elections that have unofficially given a decisive victory to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development party – the AK Party.
Riot police fired water cannon to disperse crowds who gathered in front of the country’s Supreme Electoral Council.
The election was a major disappointment for the opposition Republican People’s Party – the CHP, despite an increase in support. Leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu has said that they will challenge the results in the capital and other areas including the coastal city of Antalya. Recounts have reportedly begun in several areas.
Meanwhile, Erdogan celebrated his party’s victory with his family in front a large crowd of supporters. They are believed to have held on to power in both Istanbul and Ankara despite accusations of corruption and a crackdown on internet access.
The country’s electoral council has said that a final result will not be announced until all claims of irregularities are resolved.
- 1Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 4Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 5Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
Wires > News
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…
- 21:10 CET French labour clash escalates, public fear impact on Euro 2016