The parliamentary faction Party of Regions also officially announced its presidential candidate on Saturday.
Members of Ukraine’s former ruling party will back Mykhailo Dobkin, a pro-Russian businessman and former governor of Kharkiv, the scene of recent protests in the east of the country.
Speaking in Russian, Dobkin said:
“I’m running to get into power. But I will put this power into the regions. I will invest as much of it as necessary in the successful development of the territories. And I know how important it is to have power in the regions. I know it myself, I have been begging for money for eight years in the finance ministry and in many other big and important offices.”
Dobkin recently called for the Ukrainian capital to be moved from Kyiv to Kharkiv, and for Ukraine to adopt a federal structure of government.
In March 2014, he was arrested on charges of leading a separatist movement. The charges were made shortly after the former governor of Kharkiv reportedly participated in a meeting of local officials intent on questioning the legality of the new Ukrainian government.
- 1Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 2Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Taliban ‘names new leader’ to replace Mullah Omar
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
Wires > News
- 18:03 CET Assailant stabs four at Gay Pride march in Jerusalem – police
- 17:57 CET Unable to contact dentist about Cecil the lion’s death – …
- 17:45 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 17:20 CET Chileans spooked by crime, demand government action
- 17:11 CET Afghan Taliban name a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 17:09 CET After Russia U.N. veto, countries seek court for Flight MH17…
- 17:03 CET France beefs up the security of military bases
- 16:32 CET Israel’s secret-keeper seeks censorship reform