29/03/14 18:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
He was the man of the moment during Ukraine’s Maidan demonstrations but now former champion boxer Vitaliy Klitschko is backing billionaire Petro Poroshenko as presidential candidate for the UDAR party.
In return, Klitschko gets Poroshenko’s support to stand as mayor of Kyiv.
“When the question is to save Ukraine independence and territorial integrity, we should unite together and not pay attention to personal ambitions. 72 percent of Ukrainians say that we need to unite, “ Klitschko said.
Poroshenko is known as Ukraine’s “chocolate king” and owns Eastern Europe’s largest network of confectionery plants. He supported the protests and was regularly seen at the Kiev barricades.
The move by Klitschko to drop out of the running could give Poroshenko a strong lead against former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
“If you see Vitaliy, if you see me, our coalition is rather strong and this is just for the long period of time, cause we are talking not about the may election, not about the presidential one, we are talking about the 10 years that are the program for the entering of Ukraine in the EU”, Poroshenko said.
Elections for both president and mayor of Kyiv take place on May 25th.
Latest world news
SNP claims third win in Scotland as Labour suffers in UK elections
UN official calls for inquiry into air strike on Syria refugee camp
Canada: Alberta wildfire threatens communities south of Fort McMurray
Syria: Russian orchestra holds concert in Palmyra ruins
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
Wires > News
- 12:50 CET Podemos seen losing support ahead of Spanish election repeat -…
- 12:24 CET Philippines’ Aquino supporting pact to stop Duterte winning…
- 12:17 CET In India’s slums, domestic workers’ daughters campaign for their…
- 11:53 CET Islamist rebels seize village near Aleppo, 73 killed – monitor
- 11:26 CET India’s Congress rallies in show of defiance against Modi
- 11:17 CET EU expects cooperation from subsequent Turkish government to…
- 11:12 CET Islamic State seeks news blackout in Mosul as Iraqi army nears
- 10:37 CET China says South China Sea criticism could rebound like coiled…