The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 has shifted following a “credible lead,” according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The zone of focus has now moved 1,100 kilometres north-east of the previous search area.
The calculation is based on fresh analysis which indicates the Boeing 777 was flying faster than at first thought and burning fuel quicker as a result.
If the new lead is accurate it will mean the search aircraft can get to the zone faster and stay in the air longer, thus – it is hoped – increasing the effectiveness of the search.
The latest area of focus is outside the ‘roaring forties’ bad weather zone, which will aid those looking for the missing airliner.
MH 370 disappeared on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
Press conference - Malaysia Airlines Lost Flight MH370: Search Area Extended
New search area (Australian Maritime Safety Authority (click to enlarge)
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Iraqi commander declares ‘battle of Falluja over’
No clear winner likely in Spanish election
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…