The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 has shifted following a “credible lead,” according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The zone of focus has now moved 1,100 kilometres north-east of the previous search area.
The calculation is based on fresh analysis which indicates the Boeing 777 was flying faster than at first thought and burning fuel quicker as a result.
If the new lead is accurate it will mean the search aircraft can get to the zone faster and stay in the air longer, thus – it is hoped – increasing the effectiveness of the search.
The latest area of focus is outside the ‘roaring forties’ bad weather zone, which will aid those looking for the missing airliner.
MH 370 disappeared on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
Press conference - Malaysia Airlines Lost Flight MH370: Search Area Extended
New search area (Australian Maritime Safety Authority (click to enlarge)
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2Hungarian police block refugees and migrants outside Keleti train station
- 3Burning Man 2015: what we are missing, and how we can catch up
- 4Iceland: thousands sign petition urging government to accept more refugees
- 5Exhausted animals rescued from flooded zoo in Ussuriysk, Russia
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 02:48 CET Obama to assure Saudi king of U.S. help to counter Iranian threat
- 02:06 CET War stops 13 million going to school in Middle East, North Africa…
- 23:35 CET Gang violence pushes El Salvador murder rate to post-war record
- 22:47 CET Guatemalan President Perez will not flee over graft scandal -…
- 22:39 CET Separate trials ordered for Baltimore police officers charged in…
- 22:34 CET Israel parliament approves 2015-16 budget draft in first vote
- 21:43 CET Eighteen Turkish workers kidnapped in Baghdad, firm says
- 20:33 CET Row over Libyan sovereign fund LIA reaches UK court