The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 has shifted following a “credible lead,” according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The zone of focus has now moved 1,100 kilometres north-east of the previous search area.
The calculation is based on fresh analysis which indicates the Boeing 777 was flying faster than at first thought and burning fuel quicker as a result.
If the new lead is accurate it will mean the search aircraft can get to the zone faster and stay in the air longer, thus – it is hoped – increasing the effectiveness of the search.
The latest area of focus is outside the ‘roaring forties’ bad weather zone, which will aid those looking for the missing airliner.
MH 370 disappeared on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
Press conference - Malaysia Airlines Lost Flight MH370: Search Area Extended
New search area (Australian Maritime Safety Authority (click to enlarge)
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:19 CET Islamic State blows up empty prison complex in Syria’s Palmyra
- 19:28 CET U.S. and Iran address obstacles to nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 18:57 CET EU criticizes ‘unjustified’ Russian travel blacklist
- 17:53 CET Russian aircraft head off U.S. destroyer in Black Sea – RIA
- 17:51 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes against Islamic State…
- 16:37 CET Gunmen shoot dead two soldiers in south of Thailand – police
- 16:26 CET Police break up unsanctioned gay rally in central Moscow
- 13:37 CET Myanmar lands seized migrant boat on island