The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 has shifted following a “credible lead,” according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The zone of focus has now moved 1,100 kilometres north-east of the previous search area.
The calculation is based on fresh analysis which indicates the Boeing 777 was flying faster than at first thought and burning fuel quicker as a result.
If the new lead is accurate it will mean the search aircraft can get to the zone faster and stay in the air longer, thus – it is hoped – increasing the effectiveness of the search.
The latest area of focus is outside the ‘roaring forties’ bad weather zone, which will aid those looking for the missing airliner.
MH 370 disappeared on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
Press conference - Malaysia Airlines Lost Flight MH370: Search Area Extended
New search area (Australian Maritime Safety Authority (click to enlarge)
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
Wires > News
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty
- 09:45 CET Landslide in Nepal kills 20 after heavy rain, toll may rise
- 09:19 CET Syrian group says Nusra abducts its leader, in blow to U.S. plan
- 09:15 CET Kuwait uncovers Islamic State network
- 09:06 CET Malaysia almost certain debris found off Madagascar is from a…
- 08:52 CET Taliban questions Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 08:10 CET Insight – Independent media battle on in Putin’s Russia
- 08:00 CET Malaysia says almost certain debris discovered is from a Boeing 777