The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH 370 has shifted following a “credible lead,” according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The zone of focus has now moved 1,100 kilometres north-east of the previous search area.
The calculation is based on fresh analysis which indicates the Boeing 777 was flying faster than at first thought and burning fuel quicker as a result.
If the new lead is accurate it will mean the search aircraft can get to the zone faster and stay in the air longer, thus – it is hoped – increasing the effectiveness of the search.
The latest area of focus is outside the ‘roaring forties’ bad weather zone, which will aid those looking for the missing airliner.
MH 370 disappeared on March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
Press conference - Malaysia Airlines Lost Flight MH370: Search Area Extended
New search area (Australian Maritime Safety Authority (click to enlarge)
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:09 CET Five Ukrainian soldiers killed ahead of Minsk talks – Ukraine…
- 13:06 CET India’s Bollywood star Salman Khan gets five years for hit-and-run
- 12:51 CET Aid agencies may stop Yemen work, Houthis say raids near border…
- 12:48 CET Germanwings pilot rehearsed crash on outbound flight-investigators
- 12:36 CET Pakistan seizes three tonnes of hashish bound for Middle East…
- 12:23 CET Somali Islamists kill government official, bomb AU convoy
- 12:19 CET Philippines, Japan coast guards hold anti-piracy drills
- 12:13 CET Several badly hurt in Austrian train crash – police