26/03/14 22:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Egypt’s Field Marshall Abdel Fattah al-Sisi says he has resigned as defence minister and army chief and will stand for the country’s presidency.
The widely-expected announcement came in a televised statement on Wednesday. No date for the election has been set but al-Sisi is expected to win it easily.
The news comes amid fresh signs of the instability that has raged since he led last July’s military overthrow of Egypt’s first freely-elected president, Mohamed Mursi, after mass protests against his rule.
At least one student was killed in clashes at Cairo University as demonstrators denounced death sentences handed down on Monday to 529 members of Mursi’s outlawed Islamist group.
There was also violence in Alexandria, with rallies held at universities nationwide.
In his statement, al-Sisi said Egypt was threatened by terrorists and that he would work to make it a country ‘free of fear’.
Our correspondent in Cairo, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, says there are almost daily clashes there – the degree of unrest depending on political and judicial decisions against Muslim Brotherhood supporters.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- 13:11 CET Stalin-era prison chief jailed for 20 years in Romania
- 13:06 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks
- 12:46 CET Afghan police officer killed after firing on coalition troops
- 12:42 CET At least six killed at Cameroon funeral by two suicide attackers
- 12:23 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 12:08 CET Indian scientists express doubt over meteorite death attribution
- 12:02 CET France’s Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due