20/03/14 15:01 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russia’s State Duma, the lower house of parliament, has overwhelmingly approved a treaty to annex Crimea from Ukraine, taking the Black Sea peninsula a step closer to joining the Russian Federation.
The Federation Council or upper house will hold a similar vote on Friday, completing the ratification process of a treaty that was signed by President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday.
An integration period of some nine-months will follow.
The annexation has caused outrage with Kyiv, Washington and Brussels, where the move is considered illegal and unacceptable.
Wires > News
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks
- 09:17 CET Three Turkish soldiers killed, 14 others wounded in PKK attack in…
- 08:51 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China
- 08:37 CET Rare rallies in Vietnam over mysterious mass fish deaths
- 07:04 CET Facing long odds in California, Cruz courts state’s Republicans
- 05:53 CET For Obama, it’s time for one last laugh at annual Washington dinner
- 04:16 CET China trains ‘fishing militia’ to sail into disputed waters
- 03:22 CET Venezuela leader hikes minimum wage 30 percent amid raging…