20/03/14 15:01 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russia’s State Duma, the lower house of parliament, has overwhelmingly approved a treaty to annex Crimea from Ukraine, taking the Black Sea peninsula a step closer to joining the Russian Federation.
The Federation Council or upper house will hold a similar vote on Friday, completing the ratification process of a treaty that was signed by President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday.
An integration period of some nine-months will follow.
The annexation has caused outrage with Kyiv, Washington and Brussels, where the move is considered illegal and unacceptable.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Italy elected to UN Security Council in 2017 after Dutch deal
Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
Istanbul attack: suspects thought to hail from former USSR
U.S. military repeals ban on transgender service members
Wires > News
- 02:16 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 01:56 CET U.S. urges leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid tensions
- 01:51 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 01:44 CET Trump floats idea of using NATO in fight against Islamic State
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes