Around a dozen Ukrainian servicemen have walked out of their Ukrainian naval headquarters in Crimea’s Sevastopol port after the base was stormed by pro-Russian forces, according to witnesses.
The troops raised the Russian flag in the navy base after the tense but peaceful takeover.
Oleksander Balanyuk, a navy captain, appeared ashamed and downcast after his base was stormed.
“There is nothing we could do about the crowd,” he said. “Everything happened suddenly. There were promises from the Russian side and our side that the base would not be stormed, that any issues would be resolved politically, but as you see now – there was a takeover. Nothing was resolved politically.”
Ukraine’s acting Defence Minister said that the country’s forces would not withdraw from Crimea, even though Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a treaty to make the region part of Russia.
Other military bases around Crimea remain tense but calm. Often surrounded by pro-Russian troops outside, while Ukrainian troops refuse to leave their posts inside.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Russia begins pre-trial hearings for Ukraine ex-pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Syriza faces internal battle as Tsipras requests party vote
Wires > News
- 19:31 CET First aim is to restore Yemeni government in Aden, Sanaa later -…
- 19:25 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 19:15 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -church
- 19:03 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 18:56 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride march, wounding six
- 18:53 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 18:50 CET Syrian group says Nusra abducts its leader, U.S. casts doubt
- 18:27 CET World Medical Association to look into future president after…