Elite climbers Stefan Glowacz from Germany and American Chris Sharma have scaled the overhanging roof of the Majilis al Jinn cave in Oman for the first time ever.
The cave lies in the eastern part of the al Hajar Mountains in Oman. It is the second largest cave cavern in the world.
The climbers reached it from above through three collapsed craters. The only way to get inside the cave is by abseiling 160 meters down. There are no ground-level entrances.
Both Glowacz and Sharma made it from the bottom of the Majlis al Jinn Cave back to the Earth’s surface, much to the bewilderment of the locals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 04:07 CET Ominous pre-season a worry for USG’s title rivals
- 02:43 CET Horse racing-American Pharoah wins again, takes the Haskell
- 02:01 CET Isner beats ailing Baghdatis to win Atlanta title again
- 22:40 CET Drucker sprints to RideLondon-Surrey classic win
- 21:55 CET China’s Qiu equals Louganis record
- 21:28 CET Gomez wins in Rio amid concern over roads
- 21:04 CET Arsenal get morale-boosting win over Chelsea
- 20:19 CET De Jong double lifts PSV to Dutch Super Cup glory