Elite climbers Stefan Glowacz from Germany and American Chris Sharma have scaled the overhanging roof of the Majilis al Jinn cave in Oman for the first time ever.
The cave lies in the eastern part of the al Hajar Mountains in Oman. It is the second largest cave cavern in the world.
The climbers reached it from above through three collapsed craters. The only way to get inside the cave is by abseiling 160 meters down. There are no ground-level entrances.
Both Glowacz and Sharma made it from the bottom of the Majlis al Jinn Cave back to the Earth’s surface, much to the bewilderment of the locals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 08:03 CET Newcastle’s new boys will take time to gel, says Wijnaldum
- 07:14 CET Tiny Cook Islands win another World Cup qualifier
- 07:12 CET Federer romps, Murray quiets Kyrgios
- 07:04 CET Durban confirmed as 2022 Commonwealth Games host
- 06:10 CET Composed Murray swats aside Kyrgios at US Open
- 05:37 CET Ebola, fire threaten to derail Commonwealth Youth Games
- 04:56 CET Australia coach backtracks in pay dispute row
- 04:25 CET Martin elected president of Commonwealth Games Federation