18/03/14 17:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The acting President and Prime Minister of Ukraine have been reacting to President Vladimir Putin’s speech to the Russian Parliament.
Their statements came as Ukraine’s Interfax news agency reported one Ukrainian soldier had been shot and killed and a second injured when Russian troops stormed a military base in Simferopol
“Today the Russian President Vladimir Putin, who likes to talk about fascism copies the fascists of the last century by annexing the territory of an independent state,” acting Ukrainian President Oleksandr Turchynov told reporters.
The acting Prime Minister, Arseney Yatsenyuk, called for a international commission – made up of defence ministers from the US, UK, the European Union and including Russian officials – to meet to discuss a way forward to achieve a diplomatic solution to the crisis.
Wires > News
- 00:49 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…