18/03/14 17:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The acting President and Prime Minister of Ukraine have been reacting to President Vladimir Putin’s speech to the Russian Parliament.
Their statements came as Ukraine’s Interfax news agency reported one Ukrainian soldier had been shot and killed and a second injured when Russian troops stormed a military base in Simferopol
“Today the Russian President Vladimir Putin, who likes to talk about fascism copies the fascists of the last century by annexing the territory of an independent state,” acting Ukrainian President Oleksandr Turchynov told reporters.
The acting Prime Minister, Arseney Yatsenyuk, called for a international commission – made up of defence ministers from the US, UK, the European Union and including Russian officials – to meet to discuss a way forward to achieve a diplomatic solution to the crisis.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…
- 01:18 CET Insight – Pakistan’s new military courts challenged over abuse…
- 01:14 CET Japan revamps child welfare, but tens of thousands still…
- 01:11 CET Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- 00:58 CET Turkey mends fences with Israel, Russia in foreign policy reset
- 00:21 CET Iraqi army closes in on Islamic State militants near Falluja
- 00:02 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake shakes southern Mexico, no damage reported