17/03/14 20:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Troops have been digging in along the south Eastern Ukraine border with Russia. Ukrainian soldiers have increased their presence amid fears Russian military who are staging training exercises close to the border line in the Donbass region will attempt to break through.
Euronews correspondent, Angelina Kariakina says “No Russian troops or military hardware have been spotted here but the Ukrainian troops say they have prepared for any situation. These ditches have been created to deter any movement from the Russian side.”
The step up in security follows claims by Donetsk authorities local pro-Russia activists had seized Ukrainian military units in the region and detained soldiers but the reports were unconfirmed.
“Novoazovsk border guards have increased their control of the checkpoint. Russians are now interviewed at the passport control as to the purpose of their visit. Sniffer dogs and special technical equipment are used to check vehicles,” explained Ihor Lyzogub a member of the Novoazovsk Border Service.
The Novoazovsk check point is on the south eastern tip of Ukraine – a remote area where the border crossing is used mostly by local people.
Among some there are fears what might happen if the region splits from Ukraine.
“If some kind of split starts here, there will definitely be a war. A slaughter I would say because people will go after each other. Why should a brother attack his brother? I’d like everything to remain calm and peaceful,” one shopkeeper told our correspondent.
The increased security at the Novoazovsk check point suggests tension remains high.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…