Troops have been digging in along the south Eastern Ukraine border with Russia. Ukrainian soldiers have increased their presence amid fears Russian military who are staging training exercises close to the border line in the Donbass region will attempt to break through.
Euronews correspondent, Angelina Kariakina says “No Russian troops or military hardware have been spotted here but the Ukrainian troops say they have prepared for any situation. These ditches have been created to deter any movement from the Russian side.”
The step up in security follows claims by Donetsk authorities local pro-Russia activists had seized Ukrainian military units in the region and detained soldiers but the reports were unconfirmed.
“Novoazovsk border guards have increased their control of the checkpoint. Russians are now interviewed at the passport control as to the purpose of their visit. Sniffer dogs and special technical equipment are used to check vehicles,” explained Ihor Lyzogub a member of the Novoazovsk Border Service.
The Novoazovsk check point is on the south eastern tip of Ukraine – a remote area where the border crossing is used mostly by local people.
Among some there are fears what might happen if the region splits from Ukraine.
“If some kind of split starts here, there will definitely be a war. A slaughter I would say because people will go after each other. Why should a brother attack his brother? I’d like everything to remain calm and peaceful,” one shopkeeper told our correspondent.
The increased security at the Novoazovsk check point suggests tension remains high.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:19 CET Finland’s opposition Centre Party tops advanced voting ahead of…
- 19:04 CET Economic victory fails to deliver popularity boost for Hungary’s…
- 18:48 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are U.S. ‘myth’
- 18:43 CET Iraqi officer under Saddam masterminded rise of Islamic State -…
- 18:15 CET Islamic State shoots and beheads 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya…
- 18:11 CET U.N. frees 21 herders enslaved by militia in Central African…
- 18:08 CET EU leaders call for emergency talks after 700 migrants drown off…
- 17:25 CET Mediators set May 15 deadline to sign Mali peace deal