17/03/14 14:28 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukraine’s Vitali Klitschko has warned of an impending catastrophe in Crimea after its vote to join Russia.
Tipped by some to be Ukraine’s next president, Klitschko also said he feared ethnic cleansing in the peninsula.
“Crimea is today on the brink of a humanitarian disaster. The Ukrainian citizens there are left at the mercy of foreign occupiers and local criminals. There is also a risk of ethnic cleansing. Crimean Tatars, ethnic Ukrainians and all patriots of Ukraine are threatened,” Klitschko said.
Despite the potential annexation of Crimea by The Kremlin, Klitschko insisted Kyiv would not cut off energy supplies and support to the region.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:58 CET Air strikes on camp for displaced Syrians kill 28, monitor says
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…