17/03/14 14:28 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukraine’s Vitali Klitschko has warned of an impending catastrophe in Crimea after its vote to join Russia.
Tipped by some to be Ukraine’s next president, Klitschko also said he feared ethnic cleansing in the peninsula.
“Crimea is today on the brink of a humanitarian disaster. The Ukrainian citizens there are left at the mercy of foreign occupiers and local criminals. There is also a risk of ethnic cleansing. Crimean Tatars, ethnic Ukrainians and all patriots of Ukraine are threatened,” Klitschko said.
Despite the potential annexation of Crimea by The Kremlin, Klitschko insisted Kyiv would not cut off energy supplies and support to the region.
Wires > News
- 09:32 CET Tropical Storm Bonnie bears down on South Carolina coast
- 09:31 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 07:09 CET France’s Sapin says government will stand firm on labour reform
- 05:34 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing -…
- 04:15 CET Clashes between Islamic State, Syria rebels kill dozens near…
- 03:38 CET Cincinnati gorilla killed after boy falls into zoo enclosure
- 01:10 CET Niger says kills 12 Boko Haram fighters in gun battle
- 23:27 CET Canada’s Trudeau defends assisted suicide bill as deadline nears