Russia’s lower house of parliament will pass legislation “in the very near future” allowing Ukraine’s southern Crimea region to join Russia.
Sunday’s referendum was monitored by observers from twenty five countries. They were invited by local ethnic-minority communities but not recognised by any international organisations.
Euronews met a group of Armenian observers at a polling station in Simferopol.
One of the observers explained: “It is possible to hold a referendum cleanly and correctly, the EU are taking that road with Scotland.”
“It is possible, but in the former Soviet republics everything happens spontaneously, it may be a different road to democracy,” the observer added.
Kyiv said Moscow’s build-up of forces in Crimea was in “crude violation” of an international treaty, and announced plans to arm and train twenty thousand members of a newly-created National Guard.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 21:31 CET Niger losses in Boko Haram weekend battle top 74 – govt
- 21:29 CET Algerian army kills five militants – ministry
- 21:28 CET Chad to receive $1.1 billion debt relief under HIPC – finance…
- 21:24 CET Iranian Revolutionary Guards seize cargo ship in Gulf
- 20:53 CET Obama accuses China of flexing muscle in disputes with neighbours
- 20:25 CET UN renews Western Sahara force without changes Africans wanted
- 20:14 CET Indonesia delays execution of Filipina drug convict
- 19:54 CET Russians seethe over Western snub of war anniversary parade