14/03/14 08:11 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A major exhibition of the works of Vincent van Gogh has opened at the Musee d’Orsay in Paris.
The show entitled ‘The Man Driven to Suicide by Society’ is based on the writing of French playwright and theatre director Antonin Artaud, who wrote about Van Gogh ahead of the painter’s Paris show in 1947.
Isabelle Cahn from the Musee d’Orsay gave us some background: “Artaud’s text is very interesting since it goes against all the perceived ideas on Van Gogh, and above all against a theory which appeared at the time of the diagnosis of Van Gogh. Artaud wrote Van Gogh was not mad. He was driven to suicidal despair by a society that rejected his work.”
Artaud criticised Dr Paul Gachet, a psychiatrist who treated the painter. Rather than helping Vincent, Artaud claims Gachet pushed him over the edge.
The Musee d’Orsay’s Isabelle Cahn said: “I think the emotions we carry with us are human emotions, not anxiety, it is artists that carry anxiety, the anxiety of the time, and we can see in them contemporary anxieties, but they show us how we can go beyond them in art and I think it can be a great help. It does not get rid of questions, which are human, or our aspirations, we just have to show them in the most beautiful way possible.”
Van Gogh’s torment is visible throughout the show, for example in the tree trunks and quivering vegetation in the 1889 piece ‘The Garden of the St Paul Hospital’.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary