Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, where Russia has said it was prepared to intervene to take Russian-speakers under its protection was quiet on Friday.
Moscow maintains the Ukrainian authorities have “lost control” after last night’s clashes.
On Friday the city of a million people, the powerbase of fugitive ex-President Viktor Yanukovych, was on edge, with some fearing the calm before a storm.
“There were two opinions, two sides, many people gathered from both sides. We just probably need to live through all of this, be patient and time will help,” said one woman.
Another was interviewed in mid-conversation with a man. “I want a federation,” she said. “Not the Russian Federation, but within Ukraine. Yes, and who are you to tell me what to think? It was provocateurs like you who came yesterday.”
“Those pro-Russian people stabbed Ukrainians to death yesterday,” responded the man. “Should it be that way? We just need to chase them out of here.”
“It is you who we need to chase out of here to your Western Ukraine,” said the woman, claiming the last word on the exchange.
Some witnesses said Thursday night’s violence started when pro-Russian protesters broke through police lines and attacked a pro-Ukrainian rally.
One person was stabbed to death, the local 22-year-old press officer for the Ukrainian Nationalist Svoboda party. Another four people were seriously injured. Witnesses added it seemed some of the pro-Russians had arrived in vehicles with Russian number plates.
On Friday the governor of Donetsk claimed the pro-Russian demonstrators were citizens of the Russian Federation, and has declared a day of mourning for the victims.
Local medical authorities said all the casualties were Ukrainians. Four people have been arrested for allegedly starting the violence.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:48 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab fighters attack African Union troops -…
- 12:46 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 12:45 CET Northern Cypriots vote for new leader who can succeed in peace…
- 12:05 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a U.S. ‘myth’
- 11:49 CET Egypt court seeks death for 11 in soccer stadium case – TV
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal