At least one person has been killed and more than a dozen injured in clashes between hundreds of pro- and anti-government protesters in Donetsk.
The violence erupted as participants in two rival rallies broke through a police barrier in the centre of the city.
Hospital sources say the victim was fatally stabbed, making it the first death reported outside the capital during the recent violence.
It was unclear how the dead person was killed. Protesters broke through a police cordon keeping the two sides apart. It was the first death reported in recent Ukrainian violence outside of the capital, Kiev.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Canadian ordered out of Nepal after criticising government on…
- 15:49 CET Fatal helicopter crash off Norway due technical error -…
- 15:43 CET Rebel rockets kill 19 in Aleppo, hit hospital – monitor
- 15:43 CET German comedian says Merkel ‘served me up for tea’ to Turkey
- 15:31 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 15:11 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 15:01 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 14:57 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in Iraq