At least one person has been killed and more than a dozen injured in clashes between hundreds of pro- and anti-government protesters in Donetsk.
The violence erupted as participants in two rival rallies broke through a police barrier in the centre of the city.
Hospital sources say the victim was fatally stabbed, making it the first death reported outside the capital during the recent violence.
It was unclear how the dead person was killed. Protesters broke through a police cordon keeping the two sides apart. It was the first death reported in recent Ukrainian violence outside of the capital, Kiev.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Peru: Tens of thousands hold anti-Fujimori rally ahead of presidential poll
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Costa Concordia captain has appeal rejected
Wires > News
- 09:12 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 08:55 CET Dead tigers found in Thai temple amid trafficking fears
- 08:40 CET Japan PM delaying sales tax rise, fiscal reform on back burner
- 08:34 CET Turkish PM Yildirim says German vote on Armenian killings…
- 08:25 CET Turkish army kills 14 Islamic State militants near Aleppo
- 07:24 CET Thailand jails country singer for seven years in royal insult case
- 07:18 CET Peru’s Kuczynski backs out of plans to join anti-Fujimori rally
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says