EU and US negotiators have met in Brussels for the fourth round of talks on a planned transatlantic free trade deal.
Tariffs between America and the 28-member bloc are already low; they are about 4 percent on average.
But officials say scrapping red tape will boost growth on both sides of the Atlantic.
They expect any agreement between the the US and the EU to set new global benchmarks for trade.
Both economies account for half of the entire world’s GDP and the European Commission predicts that both would expand by more than 200 billion euros once the deal takes effect.
Opponents argue the lack of transparency that surrounds the negotiations is bad news for democracy.
They say a free trade deal between Europe and America would erode regulatory standards and weaken the rights of consumers.
- EU elections 2014: the issues
- European agricultural policy
- International trade agreements
- Talks / negotiations
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video