EU and US negotiators have met in Brussels for the fourth round of talks on a planned transatlantic free trade deal.
Tariffs between America and the 28-member bloc are already low; they are about 4 percent on average.
But officials say scrapping red tape will boost growth on both sides of the Atlantic.
They expect any agreement between the the US and the EU to set new global benchmarks for trade.
Both economies account for half of the entire world’s GDP and the European Commission predicts that both would expand by more than 200 billion euros once the deal takes effect.
Opponents argue the lack of transparency that surrounds the negotiations is bad news for democracy.
They say a free trade deal between Europe and America would erode regulatory standards and weaken the rights of consumers.
- EU elections 2014: the issues
- European agricultural policy
- International trade agreements
- Talks / negotiations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union