EU and US negotiators have met in Brussels for the fourth round of talks on a planned transatlantic free trade deal.
Tariffs between America and the 28-member bloc are already low; they are about 4 percent on average.
But officials say scrapping red tape will boost growth on both sides of the Atlantic.
They expect any agreement between the the US and the EU to set new global benchmarks for trade.
Both economies account for half of the entire world’s GDP and the European Commission predicts that both would expand by more than 200 billion euros once the deal takes effect.
Opponents argue the lack of transparency that surrounds the negotiations is bad news for democracy.
They say a free trade deal between Europe and America would erode regulatory standards and weaken the rights of consumers.
- EU elections 2014: the issues
- European agricultural policy
- International trade agreements
- Talks / negotiations
- 1Austria tops the migrant league
- 2EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
- 5EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
- 1Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 2The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 3EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country