EU and US negotiators have met in Brussels for the fourth round of talks on a planned transatlantic free trade deal.
Tariffs between America and the 28-member bloc are already low; they are about 4 percent on average.
But officials say scrapping red tape will boost growth on both sides of the Atlantic.
They expect any agreement between the the US and the EU to set new global benchmarks for trade.
Both economies account for half of the entire world’s GDP and the European Commission predicts that both would expand by more than 200 billion euros once the deal takes effect.
Opponents argue the lack of transparency that surrounds the negotiations is bad news for democracy.
They say a free trade deal between Europe and America would erode regulatory standards and weaken the rights of consumers.
- EU elections 2014: the issues
- European agricultural policy
- International trade agreements
- Talks / negotiations
- 1Poroshenko has ‘full evidence’ of Russia’s presence in Ukraine
- 2Expectations low for EU summit amid fears of provoking Russia
- 3EU warns eastern neighbours of long road to closer ties
- 4EU calls for 40,000 asylum seekers from Italy, Greece to be relocated
- 5Europe Weekly: EU backs migrant mission to its south, looks east
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]