09/03/14 14:21 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three years after the Fukushima disaster, thousands of anti-nuclear demonstrators have filled the streets of Tokyo.
They called on the government to pull the plug on nuclear power for good.
It was one of a number of protests which were planned across Japan on Sunday.
“I am here today because I want to rid the planet of nuclear power as quickly as possible,” said Fumiko Ichikawa, one of the Tokyo demonstrators.
The government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is setting its sights on restarting some of the country’s 48 mothballed reactors.
The loss of nuclear power has meant importing extra oil, coal and gas and that has hurt the economy.
But, in the wake of the meltdown at Fukushima in March 2011, people in Japan are worried about safety and the impact on their health.
Many say they have lost faith in the current government and are demanding that its nuclear plans be scrapped.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 4Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
Pope Francis arrives in Uganda
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
Tour operator threatens to jump from Colosseum in Rome
Wires > News
- 06:56 CET Colombian president condemns killing of Venezuelan activist
- 06:53 CET Eight corpses found in Mexico’s Oaxaca state
- 00:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?
- 21:51 CET Pope holds private meeting with president of warring South Sudan
- 21:08 CET U.N. chief condemns deadly attack in disputed Abyei region
- 21:06 CET Saudis failed to investigate air strikes on Yemen civilians -…