A Vietnamese navy plane searching for wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet has reportedly spotted an object in the sea which could be part of the missing aircraft.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam announced the discovery, but said it was too dark to be certain the find was part of the missing plane.
Search efforts are expected to continue on Monday morning, when more aircraft will be dispatched to the area in waters of southern Vietnam.
Preliminary investigations into the whereabouts of flight MH370 are said to be narrowing on the possibility of a mid-air disintegration.
When asked about the possible causes of the aircraft’s disappearance, Director General of the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation, Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, said nothing is being ruled out.
“On the possibility of hijack, we are not ruling (out) any possibility. However, it’s important to state that our main concern is to focus our efforts on finding the missing aircraft. So, if we are able to find the aircraft, it will definitely help us to establish what exactly has happened”.
Confirmation that two Europeans on the passenger list were not on board the flight has led authorities to investigate the possible use of stolen passports.
The plane – a Boeing 777 – vanished on Saturday morning local time about an hour into its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It was carrying 239 people.
An international search operation is underway involving 34 aircraft and 40 ships from south east Asia and the US.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:02 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession
- 17:56 CET Ghana can continue production in Ivory Coast oil dispute – tribunal
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…