A Vietnamese navy plane searching for wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet has reportedly spotted an object in the sea which could be part of the missing aircraft.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam announced the discovery, but said it was too dark to be certain the find was part of the missing plane.
Search efforts are expected to continue on Monday morning, when more aircraft will be dispatched to the area in waters of southern Vietnam.
Preliminary investigations into the whereabouts of flight MH370 are said to be narrowing on the possibility of a mid-air disintegration.
When asked about the possible causes of the aircraft’s disappearance, Director General of the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation, Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, said nothing is being ruled out.
“On the possibility of hijack, we are not ruling (out) any possibility. However, it’s important to state that our main concern is to focus our efforts on finding the missing aircraft. So, if we are able to find the aircraft, it will definitely help us to establish what exactly has happened”.
Confirmation that two Europeans on the passenger list were not on board the flight has led authorities to investigate the possible use of stolen passports.
The plane – a Boeing 777 – vanished on Saturday morning local time about an hour into its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It was carrying 239 people.
An international search operation is underway involving 34 aircraft and 40 ships from south east Asia and the US.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:24 CET Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists -…
- 19:16 CET Air Canada flight slides off Halifax runway, injuring passengers
- 18:32 CET Turkey detains five Dutch people seeking to enter Syria
- 18:19 CET Liberia calls for sexual abstinence to cut Ebola transmission risk
- 17:17 CET Tanzania president warns of rising religious tensions before…
- 16:53 CET Afghan court sentences AP photojournalist’s killer to 20 years in…
- 16:25 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 16:19 CET Thousands of Tunisians, leaders march after Bardo attack