09/03/14 16:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Vietnamese navy plane searching for wreckage of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet has reportedly spotted an object in the sea which could be part of the missing aircraft.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam announced the discovery, but said it was too dark to be certain the find was part of the missing plane.
Search efforts are expected to continue on Monday morning, when more aircraft will be dispatched to the area in waters of southern Vietnam.
Preliminary investigations into the whereabouts of flight MH370 are said to be narrowing on the possibility of a mid-air disintegration.
When asked about the possible causes of the aircraft’s disappearance, Director General of the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation, Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, said nothing is being ruled out.
“On the possibility of hijack, we are not ruling (out) any possibility. However, it’s important to state that our main concern is to focus our efforts on finding the missing aircraft. So, if we are able to find the aircraft, it will definitely help us to establish what exactly has happened”.
Confirmation that two Europeans on the passenger list were not on board the flight has led authorities to investigate the possible use of stolen passports.
The plane – a Boeing 777 – vanished on Saturday morning local time about an hour into its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It was carrying 239 people.
An international search operation is underway involving 34 aircraft and 40 ships from south east Asia and the US.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Canada to pull out of bombing campaign against ISIL by 22 February
New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Wires > News
- 00:00 CET Israel NGO bill, seen as targeting left-wing groups, crosses first…
- 22:57 CET Dissident Irish nationalists claim fatal Dublin shooting – BBC
- 22:44 CET Laptop bomb may have blown hole in Somali plane – U.S. officials
- 22:41 CET Arab-Israeli lawmakers suspended for meeting families of killed…
- 22:00 CET Israel may bank on Obama’s successor for future U.S. aid pact -…
- 21:55 CET Lives at risk unless WHO reforms, U.N. report says
- 21:44 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased Islamic State…
- 21:02 CET Migrant arrivals to Greece’s Lesbos rise after days of bad weather