07/03/14 03:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Security forces remain on high alert in Ukraine’s eastern city of Donetsk after violence erupted during a pro-Russia demonstration.
There has been growing clamour for a referendum for greater autonomy in the region – claims which are spilling into violence.
Several dozen protesters were detained including Pavel Gubarev, the self-proclaimed people’s governor.
His lawyer addressed the crowd saying that he was still in Donetsk and had not been taken out of the city as previously thought.
It comes a day after police seized back control of a regional government headquarters taken over by pro-Russian supporters.
With tensions spiralling upwards, Ukraine has recalled some of its warships amid fears the crisis may not be settled diplomatically.
It is a possibility also being entertained by the United States which is sending 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as part of an expanded training exercise in response to Russia’s intervention in Crimea.
- 1Russia must be ready to respond to NATO’s ‘aggressive actions’, says Putin
- 2“We’ll start from scratch”: the first interview of Rome’s first female mayor
- 3Orthodox Council meeting staggers on as 1000-year quarrel continues
- 4“Dear parents, why you are wrong to support Brexit”
- 5Football – in Hungary, it is more than just a game
- 1What would Brexit mean for foreign workers and Britons in the EU?
- 2Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
- 3EU referendum: Leave and Remain camps fight it out on TV
- 4South Africa: riots hit Pretoria after ANC imposes local mayor candidate
- 5Police break up fights between Polish football fans in Marseille
- 1Walking on water: Bulgarian artist Christo realises his dream
- 2What would Brexit mean for foreign workers and Britons in the EU?
- 3Switzerland ends bid to join European Economic Area – after 24 years
- 4What do Europeans think of the UK’s ‘Brexit’ referendum?
- 5Greece, Britain and Israel help fight massive forest fire in Cyprus
Wires > News
- 12:17 CET Interpol launches appeal to catch people smugglers
- 12:11 CET WHO to launch emergency yellow fever vaccination in Angola and…
- 12:09 CET China brushes off doubts over support on South China Sea, says it…
- 11:48 CET Japan probes suspected North Korean rocket nose cone amid growing…
- 11:44 CET Myanmar migrant plight in spotlight as Suu Kyi visits Thailand
- 11:40 CET Russia seen putting new nuclear-capable missiles along NATO border…
- 11:22 CET Turkey says politicians’ visits to Incirlik air base inappropriate
- 10:58 CET Pakistan mourns murdered singer in attack claimed by Taliban