Kosovo is to create its first national army, with 5,000 soldiers and 3,000 reservists.
It will be built on the current lightly-armed civic response force, and the Kosovo Security Force that replaced the armed rebels that fought against the Serbs at the end of the 1990s when Kosovo gained a degree of international recognition as independent in 2007.
NATO remains the main armed force in Kosovo, with 5,000 troops still stationed there as peacekeepers, but relations with Serbia have warmed of late. This resulted from Serbia accepting to give up administrative control of the majority Serb enclave in northern Kosovo in exchange for opening EU membership negotiations.
The new Kosovan army will have to work closely with NATO forces.
Tensions remain in the north where most of Kosovo’s more than 100,000 Serbs live. The Kosovan Serb’s leader, Ivica Dacic, opposes the recent compromise reached between Pristina and Belgrade, and brokered by the EU.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:06 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February
- 18:44 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 18:06 CET Stade de France reopens for first time since Paris attacks
- 18:01 CET Hundreds more candidates allowed to contest Iran election
- 17:41 CET Five killed in Austrian avalanche – police
- 16:31 CET Critic of Vatican leaves its sexual abuse commission