01/03/14 18:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Dozens of people have been hurt in clashes in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv. Violence reportedly broke out when pro-Russia activists stormed the regional government’s headquarters.
Thousands of people had gathered outside the building during a protest against Ukraine’s new leaders who ousted President Viktor Yanukovych a week ago.
They denounced the Kyiv authorities that have been installed - and called for reunification
A Russian flag was later seen being raised.
As well as Kharkiv, protests have also taken place in other cities – including Donetsk, Yanukovych’s home town and power base.
The violence in Kharkiv highlights the challenges Ukraine’s new leaders could face in mainly Russian-speaking regions – which oppose the largely pro-Western course charted by the newly installed government.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report